Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Rock Tumbler

lyricoc@yahoo.com

When my dad died, in his 80’s, he and my mom had been together for 60 wonderful years, well, I can remember a few bumps along their road, but all in all, they were very happy.  

My husband, Mark and I have been together for almost 25 years, and I know there were times when we almost called it quits, but something or someone kept us together.  It seems like marriages are like fast food these days, even Christians are getting divorced on the drop of a dime.  

Somehow Mark and I have made it through some unbelievable things.  Through these things I realized this morning that I have learned patience from living with Mark and I know that he has grown patience because of his life with me.  Kind of like a rock tumbler, knocks the hard edges off of  jagged rocks.  

This morning I looked at the clock at 4:00 am, the usual time that I wake up these days.  Mark doesn’t even have to set his alarm anymore because I am his alarm.  At 6:30 I woke Mark up for the first time, “Honey, it’s time to shower.”  Mark said okay, then he was back to sleep.  I know after all of these years I need to be patient, to wait and to give him 15 more minutes before gently trying to wake him again.  

Sometimes he is right up and sometimes he waits until just before he has to leave for his dialysis, at 7:45.  The whole process used to really bother me but after 25 years I know he’s a big boy and he doesn’t need my nagging, just a bit of help, in the morning.

Our circumstances are a little different than a lot of people, Mark is very sick, and I have to be more patient with him for his health.  He also has to be patient for his heart.  

I said earlier that marriages these days are a lot like fast food, and we are all on this fast food diet, we want things quick, tasty and more than we need.  We tend to get upset when the consequences are that we have no energy and are getting fat.  

Romans, 8:22 and 23, “ We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of child birth right up to the present time.  Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.  

If we all would let this patience develop in us and not have an ADHD appetite, where we eat whatever pops into our head, without restraint.  When I am talking about food here, I am talking about spiritual food.  So what we need is less of the world and more Bible to become spiritually sound in mind or soul.  So wait on the lord and let him use what ever He needs (marriage), to develop your patients.  

Also, know that if you are going through a hard time in your marriage, it could be the tumbler effect, and there are others, you are not alone in this race

Isaiah, 30:18 says that blessed are all who wait for Him.      

No comments:

Post a Comment