Monday, December 17, 2012

Another Christmas





“Have them take any presents that they would have given to me and have them give those presents to a little kid.”  He stressed the word, “little”, as he answered me.

His words didn’t surprise me, that wasn’t it, I guess I just felt so blessed to have such a good hearted son.  I didn’t know what to say back to him after I told my son Elijah about the church that might help us out this year for Christmas.  We have never really had a Christmas like the kind you see on TV.  Decorated tree, presents for Christmas morning, lots of good food.  As long as I have been with my husband, Mark, we have struggled so Christmas has always been very lean and I have never minded taking charity, when it came to all of my kids.

If it was just for me, Christmas would be just another day.  Jesus wasn’t actually born on December 25.  There are many things that show that it couldn’t have been in the winter.  I try to thank God every day for the gift of his son, Jesus, so I don’t need one special day to do that, but I have to admit, I do get caught up in the hoopla of the season, and Elijah’s words brought be right back down to earth.

I saw a banner the other day it said, “Jesus is the reason for the season”.  What a great reminder, I would like to put that banner up in my living room, that would be all the decoration that I need.  But it just isn’t the way things are, Santa could never out shine Jesus but he tries with all of his presents and the fun stuff that he tempts all of us with.  

So for me and for this Christmas, I have put my thoughts into, “What can I do for someone else” instead of what can I do to make my own Christmas great.  My kids are one of the best presents that my Heavenly Father has ever given me, and I will spend time on Christmas morning thanking Jesus for them. It looks like my children are learning to appreciate what God has already given us, too, and that is another wonderful gift from our Father.     

    


No comments:

Post a Comment