Saturday, January 19, 2013

Canned Tomato Soup




I was sipping on a cup of tomato soup, fresh out of the can.  Along with a few good memories of kindergarten, tomato soup and a grilled cheese, watching sheriff John after school (oops, I gave away my age), I noticed how salty this soup tasted.  I thought about it for a minute and I decided that it has been a long time since I have enjoyed a can of tomato soup, and in that time, a lot has changed about my diet.  

I used to eat a lot of salt, it got to the point where I was salting just about everything, and the food never even tasted salty, just flavorful.  This salty, but tasty soup made me realize that along with giving up salt for my husband’s health, I was giving up a lot of flavor.  I could taste the food but the food tasted flat and boring.  Tonight I had some very tasty past memories and some very interesting soup, and it made me think of something that Jesus talked about and that is Christians, being like salt, that is, the salt of the earth.

Matthew 5:13, You are the salt of the earth.  But if the salt loses its saltiness how can it be made salty again?  It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled on by men.”

You can eat food without salt, but it is salt that brings out the flavor in food.  And you can live your life without being a Christian but if you really want a life that is full of flavor then you need to stay close to Jesus, and keep that saltiness.  


No comments:

Post a Comment