Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Slumber Parties

lyricoc@yahoo.com

How many slumber parties does a young lady in junior high go to?  In those days, when mental and physical growth were so important, I went to as many parties as I had friends that were 13 and 14 years old.

Each party was a little different, as each girl was different.  At my party, my older sister, Carol, told us ghost stories by candle light in my darkened room.  At just the right moment, my little brother, Bob, jumped out of the closet with a sheet over his head.  He waved his arms and everyone in the room let out a scream of delight. 

I remember the presents the most, at my friend, Carol’s party.  Each present, though wrapped different was the exact same size.  Music albums were all the rage, and Carol got an album from each young lady at her party.  The Partridge Family, The Brady Bunch, (yes, they did sing) Nancy Sinatra, The Monkees, those were just some of the albums she got, I hope she kept the receipts.

At Jojan’s party, we danced in our pajamas.  And at Angie’s party, we had chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, delicious!

The party that I loved the most was Maria’s party.  No one slept that night.  We all sat up and talked and giggled and loved each others company.

Earlier in the evening at Maria’s party, we had a scavenger hunt.  I don’t think that game could be played these days because things have gotten out of control.  Back in the 70’s, things were more gentle, more mellow, more safe.  

It was so much fun going from door to door in our neighborhood.  One girl would ring the door bell, we would stand there trying not to giggle.  When the home owner would say, “Hello”  the bravest girl would hand him the list and ask if we could have anything that was on the list, that they might have.

Whether it be a roll of toilet paper, or a toothpick, a battery, or a stamp, we were thrilled if we got anything.  Then with our loot from the list in hand, we ran back to Maria’s house to see if we were the winners.

Not only did our group have to be first in this race, the girls that I ran around with also had to have every single thing on our list for the judges.  The winners all won a prize, what fun we had.

The race we as Christians are running today, isn’t a game, but there will be a prize at the end.  2 Timothy 4:7 and 8, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day-and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for His appearing.”

I think about Cheryl, Julie and the other girls I grew up with.  When they come to mind, I like to say a prayer for them.  I hope that when the race they are running comes to a finish, they will be together forever with Jesus Christ.     

No comments:

Post a Comment