Monday, January 30, 2012

I Owe You

     I met my husband, Mark, when I was 28.  Soon after that, I gave my life to Christ.  I learned much of what I know from Mark and the Bible.
     I grew up going to the Catholic Church.  One idea I had, and lived by when I was young, was that, I had to work my way into heaven.  I spent a lot of my young age trying to do just that.  Then, after being frustrated when I couldn't be good enough, I spent my teen years messing up. 
     There is a story that I like in Luke.  Jesus was invited to have dinner with a pharisee.  While He was reclining at the table, a woman who had led a sinful life, in that town, came to Jesus.  She wet His feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.  She kissed his feet and poured perfume on them.  The pharisee seeing this, said to himself in Luke 7:39, "If this man were a prophet, He would know who is touching Him and what kind of woman she is-that she is a sinner."  Jesus did know who was touching Him, and He used the womans actions to make His point.
     Two men owed money to a certain moneylender.  One man owed 500 denarii, and the other man owed 50 denarii.  Neither man could pay the moneylender back, so the moneylender canceled the debts of both the men.  Jesus asked one of His disciples, "Which of the men loved the moneylender more?
     The man that owed 500 denarii was in debt, his debt was forgiven.  Jesus forgave the woman her debt also, and said that her faith saved her.  Because of my sins, I was in debt, I couldn't imagine how I could be saved after the life I had been living, but what seems impossible to me, is possible with Jesus.
     Romans 10:9-10 says, "That is you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart, God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is with your heart that you believe and are Justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved."

No comments:

Post a Comment