Monday, July 30, 2012

Anticipation

I was doing dishes tonight, when a thought popped into my head.  This thought was about shopping.  The first of August is in a few days and I would like to buy a few things.  Not really a bad thought to think, but the feelings that went along with that thought wasn't to good.  You see, along with that thought, I felt joy, an anticipatory joy.  I told myself, "I can't wait to shop!"

You may ask, "What is wrong with that?"  What I felt, only took a few seconds, the first thought was; shopping, then the anticipation, the joy, and then guilt.  I know myself a bit and I know that I don't always feel that same joy when I have to study the Bible, or go to Church.  A lot of the time, I feel that the study time is my duty as a Christian, also going to Church and spending time with the Lord.

After the sequence of thoughts, ending in guilt, I had another thought, "How does God feel about what I am focusing on?"  I need to get my thoughts and feelings in line with the Bible, I need to feel that same anticipation and joy for God!  So I looked up what the Bible said on the subject.

In Luke 12:22, Jesus said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or your body, what you will wear.  Life is more important than food, and the body more than clothes."  Jesus says it again in Luke 12:29, "Do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it, for the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.  But seek his kingdom and these things will be given to you as well."

I want to be in right standfing with God, so instead of feeling joy when I am able to buy myself clothes or food, I will feel joy and anticipation when I am near God.  Collossians 3:12, 'Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."  And as the Holy Spirit does it's work in me, I will feel that joy when I am clothed with these things, not with things of this world.

It is hard at times learning to love an invisible God, but we can know Him and we can love Him.  1 Peter 1:8 says about Jesus, "Though you have not seen Him, you love Him; and even though you do not see Him now, you believe in Him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious Joy."  I want my joy to be in Jesus Christ, our Lord, in my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment