Friday, July 13, 2012

One Small Pie

I mashed the dough between my small fingers, and my mom reminded me, "Connie, don't play with that dough to much, it will make the crust tough."  So I shaped the dough into a ball, kind of, and I put it on a floured surface.  Mom helped me to hold the old heavy wooden rolling pin and made the ball into a smooth flat circle.  We somehow we got the flat circle into a little ceramic dish.

Mom cut the pealed apples into thin sections.  I picked each piece of apple gently up and delicately placed each piece into the dough covered dish.  Mom sprinkled some sugar and cinnamon on top of my creation, then she placed the mini apple pie into the hot oven along side two full sized pies that she put in before mine.

I wanted to plop down in front of the oven to watch my pie cook, but Mom told me to go out side while she cleaned up.  "I'll call you when it is done,"  Mom said.

I ran out into our patio to play with my dolls, but who could play at a time like this? I've never baked an apple pie before, I've never baked anything!  But today I just thought I would ask,"Mom can I help?"  I asked, and to my surprise, she brought out a stool for me to stand on and she handed me a bit of dough to actually make my own little apple pie.

I will never forget this, I thought to myself as I dressed my doll in a casual outfit that she could bake a pie in.  Then I re-enacted the baking scene with my mother doll and my half sized five year old doll.

"It's done!"  Mom called after what seemed like hours.  "Here it is,"  she stood holding my pie, dark hair, dark eyes, a beauty with a wide smile, and she was smiling at me.  I touched the pie, it was a little bit warm.  "It's been cooling,"  Mom said, then added, "It's almost time to eat dinner."

I made it through the baking time, now I just have to make it through dinner.  I could hardly stand it, I felt so excited.

Dinner seemed to lag on.  When it was done, we cleared the dishes before dessert.  I thought to myself that it was almost time!  I remember feeling such happiness, I could have been shining!

I walked over, picked up my little pie, the thing that I was so proud of, the thing that took up so much of my thoughts, today.

The little pie, it smelled so sweet, I cradled it in my small hands as I walked to the table and placed it in front of my mom and dad.  "I made this for you,"  I exclaimed.  They looked surprised, then delighted!  And me, I felt warm and satisfied.  The feeling of giving, there is nothing like it.  That is what I learned that day.

Acts 20:35, "Remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive'"

No comments:

Post a Comment