Friday, September 30, 2011

Elijah's fever

     My little boy, Elijah, had a low grade fever, a cough and congestion in his chest.  On a wednesday evening, we said a prayer for him.  He didn't seem better.  Hours later we said another prayer for him, he didn't seem better.  Off and on during the night, he would wake up and cry and I would say, "Jesus help him!"  I know that Jesus died on the cross so that Elijah could be healed.  I even said, "By His stripes we were healed, " over and over.  I know Jesus is faithful and I prayed for Him to forgive my sins, but in the morning, Elijah still seemed sick.
     I started to wonder why sometimes we get healed and sometimes we don't.  I could picture healing, like the bottle of medecine that I had sitting by my bed.  I bought it and it's here in the house.  I can use it when I want to.  I don't have to beg anyone to use it.  I don't even have to ask if I can use it, it's mine.  And I don't have to go out and buy it over again, it's already here for me to use.  I just have to pick it up and use it.  I know that healing is the same.  It's here for me, but how do I pick it up and use it?
     I know that the words in the Bible are powerful.  Not just what they say, the actual words; the truth.  The words are Jesus and His power.  So I took Elijah and put him in his swing.  I got my promise book and I looked up sickness.  I read to him and I imagined the words going into his ears.  I imagined that the words were Jesus, and Jesus was now in Elijah's body, healing him.  While I was doing this something happened. 
     My pastor recently asked, "have you ever had one of those revelations where you say, 'Hey, God loves me!'  And the person you are talking to says,' I know'  and you say, 'No you don't understand, God loves me!"  I heard that was called quickening to your spirit; made alive in your heart.  It's not just a bunch of words anymore; its alive in you.  Well, that is what happened to me, "By His stripes we were healed" came alive to me and it meant so much more. 
     My friend Loretta told me that she used to feel bad praying for God to heal her headaches; like it was a selfish thing.  She added that now she prays all the time for her headaches to feel better.  She made a joke, saying that she even lays hands on herself.
     Isaiah 53:5 says, "But He was wounded for our transgressions; he was bruised for our iniquities, the chastisement of our peace was upon Him and by His stripes we are healed."
     When I read this, I thought about how I would feel if I worked a month, or even a week to buy something special for one of my kids, and I did it because I loved him so much that I wanted him to have something special that would make their life easier.  I would feel like all the work was worth it, if it helped them.  If I did all of this and he took it, said, "Thanks."  and threw it in the corner never to use it and with no understanding what I went through to get it for him, I would feel hurt.  And If I had to stand and watch him suffer even though he had that special gift to help them, It would be painful for me.  I might wonder why I bothered in the first place.
     I would feel that way about a little work, a little money.  What does Jesus think?  He is God, He made himself a body, came down to earth, let the people that he loved, and did this for, whip, hate, and kill Him, and what do I do?  I say, "Oh thanks"...and throw His gift in the corner.
     I wish I could say that Elijah felt 100% better after my quickening, but he still seemed sick.  But I feel different and I am committed to finding out everything I can on how to use God's gift to me. 
    
 I took Elijah's temperature about 2 hours after this this took place, and it was normal, and he did seem better.

No comments:

Post a Comment