Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Athlete

     There was an article in the news paper about a top athlete that seemed very healthy but died at the age of twenty eight of a heart attack.  The article went on to say that research shows that a balance of exercise, diet and rest is needed to maintain a healthy body.  When we neglect one area we could become weak, or like the athlete, die.
     Our spirit also needs a balance of things to stay healthy, and keeping a balance takes discipline.  Paul compares our lives as Christians to runners in a race.  Do you think you could eat a diet of french fries and soda, exercise once in a while then win a marathon?  In 1 Corinthians 9: 24, Paul tells us, "everyone who competes in the game goes into strict training."  A lot of us Christians are spiritually flabby, malnourished and tired.
     If you eat unhealthy food and don't exercise, you can end up flabby.  Too much rest and not enough exercise, and your muscles will become weak.  Even with a good amount of exercise and a healthy diet, and not enough rest, your body will suffer.
     The balance of good health exists in the physical and in the spiritual.  Our spirit needs good food, exercise and rest.  When we get lax in one or more of these areas, our spiritual health could end up in danger.
     Such a simple thing, but unless we train daily, like an athlete, it's easy to get off balance, and not even realize it.
     Spiritually, I thought I was doing fine, until one day I noticed that I was depressed and edgy, snapping at the kids and spouse, yelling at the dog and complaining about every little thing.  then like a bolt of lightning, it hit me.  I said, "What is wrong with me?"  I told myself, "I read my Bible once in a while, I go to Church at least once a month, but it's so hard to find the time, I have so many important things to do."  It's like saying, "Why do I feel so bad on this diet of potato chips and chocolate bars, I eat a carrot once in a while."

Eat right+ sleep right+ exercise= Good physical health

Reading and hearing the word+ praise and worship+ ministry= Good spiritual health

Remember to keep your balance, and stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment