Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Elijah The Prophet

     I love the story of Elijah the prophet.  I heard it many years ago and I even named my son after the Bible account.  But being in a situation like Elijah's isn't what I wanted for myself.
     In the story of Elijah, in 1 kings 17, God sent Elijah to a woman's house.  This woman was just getting ready to prepare the last of her food for her son and herself and then they were going to prepare to die.  Elijah told the woman to fix a cake of bread for him first.  She had faith and she did as he asked.  Elijah ate, and the woman and the boy ate too.  Now, God didn't fill up the jar of flour and the jug of oil, but each day there was just enough in that jar and jug to feed the three of them.  God didn't want them to put their faith in the jar or the jug.
     I know this feeling.  My family has had to live by faith for the last 22 years.  There is never enough money to supply all our needs, but somehow we make it each month.  I would love to have an endless supply of money, who wouldn't ?  At times it is very hard but there is a peace in knowing that I am not the one in charge.
     This scripture helps me when I start counting out how many days of food we have left.  Jesus said in Matthew 6:25-27, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air, they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable then they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
     Some people are looking for a God that they can make fit into their lifestyle, that would make life so much easier.  But God wants our life style made to fit into Him.  And That is what Elijah did, he followed God the way God wanted to be followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment