Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Faith

     Hebrews 11: 1, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
     I think a lot about what that scripture means and today, while thinking about it, I noticed that we were out of milk and cereal, and a few other things.  Normally, I would be concerned, because we are broke and it's just the middle of the month, but I remembered that there is a check in the mail for us and the concern, which almost turned into fear, changed into a positive feeling, like, "Oh, I will be able to get some groceries."  And I felt calm, almost a feeling of being taken care of.  Now that is the feeling I should always have when something pops up, and I know, not hope, but know that God is taking care of the situation, or in other words, the check is in the mail.
     I was reading about Shadrach, Meshach aqnd Abednego, yesterday, it is a great story.  Nebuchadnezzar was king and he reigned the land.  He had a gold statue made, an idol, and when the music played, during the day, everyone was to bow down to the idol.  But Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego would not bow down to the statue because they believed in God the father.  So the king said that they should be thrown into the fire.  I think I would be panicking at that time but they weren't, They had such faith in God that they said, in Daniel 3: 17, "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and He will rescue us from your hand oh king."
     Nebuchadnezzar was so mad, he made the fire extra hot and had his men throw the three into the fire.  His men died, just coming close to the fire because it was so hot but the king saw four men walking around in the fire, so he yelled to them, "Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, servants of the most high God, come out!  Come here."  They came out of the fire and they were fine, they didn't even smell like smoke.
     In Matthew 21, Jesus spoke to the fig tree, He said, "May you never bear fruit again."  The disciples noticed that the fig tree was dead and they brought it to Jesus attention, He said, in Matthew 21: 21, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go throw yourself into the sea,'  and it will be done.  If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
     Having faith means, like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, you know God is going to take care of you.  Maybe you don't know exactly how, but it is the feeling of, "The check is coming!"  An expectancy, just knowing some how, I will get by, somehow, groceries will be in my refrigerator, and I will be okay.  And as Jesus said, "If you believe you will receive whatever you ask in prayer."

No comments:

Post a Comment