Thursday, November 24, 2011

Prayer Line

     When I was in my thirties, we were going to a Church where we were really able to get involved in things.  I felt that I was supposed to pray, so my husband Mark and I went to our pastor and asked if he would sponsor a prayer line.  He liked the idea so we got a second phone line installed in our home and the Church put an add in a local Christian magazine.  Phone calls came in, day and night.  I would listen to the caller and then pray with and for them.
     One callers name was Beatriz, and she had a story and a prayer request that I couldn't forget.  Beatriz told me that she had just happened to come to work early that day.  She said that she saw an old friend on the way, but she could hardly recognize the woman.  Beatriz went on to tell me that she knew that the woman had full blown aids.  Beatriz didn't acknowledge the woman she kept walking, ignoring her friend.  But she told me that she had a strong feeling to go back and talk to her old friend.  Beatriz didn't want to go back but said that if she didn't she would see her friends face all day.  So she said a little prayer, "God give me the words."
     The first thing that Beatriz asked the woman was, "Do you know about Jesus?"  This woman could barley talk anymore but she nodded, yes.  Beatriz then prayed for her friend to receive Jesus.  When they were done praying, the womans eyes were glowing then the woman got down on her knees and thanked God for her salvation and for Gods grace.
     Beatriz knew this was not a chance meeting but a work of God.  Beatriz said that she knew itbecause, she was never early to work, so this special meeting was arranged by God.
     Another caller's name was Michael.  He called because he was homeless and suicidal.  I talked to him for nearly two hours and ended up finding him a place to live for six months, and the best part was that I was able to pray with him to receive Jesus into his heart.  Romans 10:9-10 says, Because , if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe with your heart that God raised Him from the dead than you will be saved."
     It is for us as Christians to go out and make disciples, we know that but we should also know that being obedient also means to stay open to God's voice, to stay open to the lead from the Holy Spirit.  If I wouldn't have been listening, Michael wouldn't have been saved.  If Beatriz wasn't listening, she might have gone to work at her normal time, or she might have passed the woman on her way to work but because of obedience, there are two more people that Jesus can call His own.  Stay open to God, be obedient.

No comments:

Post a Comment